Week 5

Topic 1: After watching the documentary "RiP! A Remix Manifesto" I found that as much as we think we have the freedom to express we actually are limited. In the video, it states the music industry music producers and songwriters copyright their beats and symphonies. I'm not a singer or songwriter yet I could see how frustrating it could be for an upcoming artist to not be able to use a beat or lyric idea from the 1980s, even though they might be able to better their work. I don't know a lot about copyright, yet it confuses me because we are supposed to have freedom of speech and expression although most great ideas are copyrighted and cannot be used by other individuals. An instance that comes to mind is when the president of the United States Donald Trump used the phrase ”grab her by the pussy.” He used freedom of speech and political power to freely discriminate women with knowing there will be no consequences. He uses a social platform and there should be repercussions for using the platform in a negative way.

Topic 2: Wikileaks is an international nonprofit organization that publishes secret information. In some cases, I think that this is a good cause but I can see several negative outcomes as well. There are some things that America is better off not knowing due to the chaos that would be caused if they were leaked. In my time I have watched quite a few conspiracy theories. For instance, if 911 was actually caused by our government. If this terrific tragedy that has shaped and changed America was leaked it would cause total chaos throughout our nation. On the flip side if Hillary Clinton's emails were discovered and she reruns for election I think it would be fair for the US citizens to see what was deleted. I think that our government has been more lenient with the freedom of speech. For example political movements and marches such as gay rights, homosexuality, women rights. It's been more vocally and politically heard and accepted.

Comments

  1. I completely agree with you! Donald Trump should never use his platform in a derogatory way like that - especially when he holds the most professional job in our country. I think that sometimes freedom of speech can be taken way too far. As far as WikiLeaks goes, the way you wrote your opinion was well thought out. My blog post was very familiar to yours, as far as what we thought on the issue. I believe that there is a happy-medium when it comes to what should be leaked and what shouldn't. It is also hard for me to believe everything that is leaked, especially when the source may not be identifiable or known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It would be so frustrating to have your hard work and effort stolen from you even if it is used to express someone elses feelings. I think that Donald Trump is completely out of line in his uses off social media and online accounting. I am currently reading a book called "the Circle" by Dave Eggers and it is so interesting. There is a part where many political leaders begin to wear cameras around their necks that stream their every move. Meetings, mornings, dinners, everything. This causes a huge distrust in the elected officials that choose not to where the cameras because "What are they hiding?" This is kind of similar to the Hillary emails thing and to Donalds actions online. If they knew they were being watched by the world, would they act differently? If they knew they would be held accountable for their actions, would they watch their steps a little better? This is a concept I believe everyone should consider when doing things that aren't appropriate or correct.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8

Week 1 Questions